Thursday, October 23, 2008

Never Ending Past

Every other week for the past couple of months I’ve been dreaming that I am back in high school experiencing my “times of yore” all over again. The dreams are so frequent and vivid that I’m beginning to resent them regardless of the fact nothing terrible happens to me or anyone else. I’m with my same friends, same teachers, and living the same exact life. This may sound odd or even a little boring, but it bugs me because I’m the last person to believe in dreams having a subconscious or intrinsic meaning, and blah, blah, blah… but considering these dreams are so common I’m beginning to believe they could maybe, possibly mean something. I have only 3 guesses, and they are feeble guesses at that, considering I’ve given them approximately 4 to 5 minutes of thought.

Maybe these dreams are nightmares? I will never forget the stifling parts of high school, I mean with the “no pants” rules (wearing hose EVERYDAY) and not being allowed to watch PG-13 movies or even go to the movies for that matter. We were taught that contemporary Christian music is distasteful and unpleasing to the Lord along with any other type of music carrying a beat. Sounds rough doesn’t it? To be fair, I can understand some of the rules from those Christian school days… but some rules I look at now and can’t fathom how I ever comprehended a relationship between those rules and Christianity. Maybe some of them were for building discipline… or was that discretion? Ok, so I’m kidding… it wasn’t that bad, in fact I honestly had a great time; However, It’s interesting how much I’ve grown in regards to my relationship with God (and love for other people) now that I’m no longer in that environment.

Maybe I’m missing my old girlfriends? Now to redeem myself with the girlfriends I love in Yankee country… I will feel the same about you in 8 months (sniff sniff)! Moving on… These gal pals of mine were closer than sisters. We did everything together (including college majors and minors) and laughed more in 7 years than most people do in a lifetime. We even started to look alike and developed an esoteric sense of humor. Our nickname in college (the most popular one) was Cut, Copy and Paste. Needless to say, we were Chribonnia Tsiblairson and we share a zillion, side splitting memories that will stick with me forever. I could see missing them as a component to my never-ending dream.

Now for my final theory: Maybe I’m just in a dream rut? And… this theory would prove that my dreams have no real purpose and my subconscious is merely having a creativity block… similar to a writer’s block! Hmm… who knows!

No comments: